Do you want to know more about how kernel assessment is determined and how this affects the price you are paid for nuts you deliver to the processor?
Then register for one of the half-day kernel assessment workshops being run by the AMS in all major growing regions.
Last year’s grower kernel assessment workshops were a great success, so we have decided to repeat them in June and July this year. These workshops are suitable for growers, grower liaison staff and researchers, and are also open to interested individuals.
People who do the workshops will have a greater understanding of Australian industry standards and procedures for NIS sampling and kernel evaluation. These procedures are used to determine the kernel recovery of delivered NIS and the subsequent price paid for each delivery.
Each workshop will include:
- an introduction to the AMS Kernel Laboratory Assessment Scheme (KLAS), its purpose and goals
- a review of industry standards and procedures for NIS sampling, kernel evaluation and minimum grower reporting
- an opportunity to examine sample of the full range of kernel defects and their classifications as either premium, commercial or reject grade kernel using the Kernel Assessment Manual
- trained lab staff taking participants through the full kernel recovery process.
Workshops are limited to a maximum of 25 participants.
AMS Kernel Laboratory Assessment Scheme Coordinator Darren Burton, who has more than 25 year experience in the industry. He will be assisted by experienced kernel lab staff.
Note: Minimum registrations are required for each workshop. The Tuesday workshops in Bundaberg and Lismore will be filled first and then the Wednesday workshops. Participants at these locations will be advised of their workshop allocation closer to the time.
Bundaberg (click here to register)
- Tuesday 27 June, 9am-1.30pm
- Wednesday 28 June, 9am-1.30pm (if required)
- The Regional Business HQ, Cnr Quay and Tantitha St, Bundaberg
Gympie (click here to register)
- Thursday 29 June, 9am-1.30pm
- Apostolic Church Hall, Cnr Old Maryborough Rd & Atkinson Rd, Gympie
New South Wales
*NSW Flood Recovery Officers will attend NSW events to assist with disaster grant claims and answer questions. Lunch will be provided at these events and is funded by the Early Needs Recovery Program.
Northern Rivers (click here to register)
- Tuesday 4 July, 9am-1.30pm
- Wednesday 5 July, 9am-1.30pm (if required)
- Alstonville Country Cottages, 7 Alstonville Cemetery Rd, Alstonville
Mid North Coast (click here to register)
- Thursday 6 July, 9am-1.30pm
- Nambucca Heads Island Golf Club, Stuart Island, Nambucca Heads
COST AND HOW TO BOOK
AMS members is $155 (incl GST)
Non-members, $235 (incl GST)
The workshop fee includes:
- morning tea
- a copy of the AMS Kernel Assessment Manual (retail value $50)
- plus a document setting out the AMS industry standards and procedures for NIS sampling, kernel evaluation and grower reporting.
To reserve your place, click your preferred location above to access the registration forms and make your payment.
Payment will be required with credit or debit card at the time of booking. Large groups (five or more people) can request an invoice for a single EFT payment by contacting email@example.com.
For more information or if you have any questions, contact KLAS Coordinator Darren Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0415 664 335.
*The Early Needs Recovery Program is part of the $150 million Primary Industry Support Package which is co-funded by the Australian and NSW Governments. For more information about the program, please visit Early Needs Recovery Program - Local Land Services (nsw.gov.au).