We encourage businesses to make sure their activities do not harm the environment and human health by:
• issuing environment protection licences
• requiring strict operating conditions and pollution reduction programs
• monitoring compliance with licence conditions and investigating pollution reports
• ordering the clean-up of pollution
• imposing fines or prosecuting organisations and individuals who break the law.
• respond to and manage pollution incidents involving hazardous materials (in collaboration with other government agencies)
• develop and inform environmental programs and policy
• deliver education and awareness programs
• support activities that protect the environment with grants and sponsorship's
• provide technical support and expertise to other government agencies.
Our work is informed by scientific evidence and consultation with stakeholders. The EPA Strategic Plan sets out our work priorities and key results areas. The plan is updated each year to reflect changes in focus and emerging issues.
This website has been partly funded by Hort Innovation, using the macadamia research and development levy and contributions from the Australian Government.